6.3.12

What I learnt being a pirate

Pirates are probably the most well regarded criminal, among young boys anyway. And it’s not hard to see why; they’ve got huge ships, cannons, drinks, swords, monkey assistants and they shout a lot. 

But these fun things, like the swords and the booze, are really used as a PR exercise to disguise the self-loathing experienced by most pirates. I’d only been a pirate for about 35 minutes when I started to hate myself. By the time I’d been a pirate for three months the sense of emptiness I felt had approximately quintupled.

I’m not saying there’s nothing good about being a pirate. They know how to party; especially when they get on to dry land, believe me! But knowing that none of them are really happy and that they carry around with them a sense of futile inadequacy does take the shine off things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment